?

Log in

Harry Potter for Latin Dorks' Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> HP LATIN TEST!
> profile

Thursday, April 2nd, 2009
11:53 am

thisgirliknow
Hey guys -- don't know what's going on with all the spam. Trying to fix the problem. Sorry!

(comment on this)

Monday, April 16th, 2007
4:38 pm

thisgirliknow
Harry Potter entry in Vicipaedia... yes, that's Wikipedia in Latin

(comment on this)

Monday, October 16th, 2006
12:58 am

thisgirliknow
Harrius Potter Et Camera Secretorum!

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, September 17th, 2006
12:31 am - Dic: "Salve ad novam puellam."

durnai_yaeyokai

Salvete omnes! I just found this community while trying to find communities concerning Latin the language NOT the culture or music from South America--there were about 4 or 500-and some communities to look through so I'm lucky I found it.

My name's Katherine (Kat for short) and I live in the USA and I took Latin in my last two years of high-school.  I'm currently attending college and I wanna jump back into the language some time soon.  I'm also ordering The Oxford Latin Course text books because I've been forgetting mea Latina! Ahh *hides in a closet* the first book should come in some time at the end of next week.  So I can get back into the Latin.

As for HP I'm a die-hard obsessed fan who has way to much interest in the Darkside and inventing new evil Dark Arts spells.  Ironically though I think I read HP before I started Latin class I didn't take it because of HP--I took it because my school had stopped teaching Japanese and because what I had seen of it seemed beautiful to me.  But hey--I'm a proud owner of Harrius Potter et philsophi lapis....Though maybe I did take Latin because of HP subconsciously, I can't seem to remember but I do remember not being necessarily motivated by HP to take it..

As for pronouncing Latin names as they should be pronounced in the books I generally don't unless I've got someone (mainly an OC in fanfiction) who's speaking Latin.  I will pronounce normal historical and mythological names in their proper Latin way--like Lucretia--I absolutely abhore the Anglecized version; it's so UGLY!!!!!! Never mind.....(bad history class memory of my history professor pronouncing the name in it's English version...)

I think that should do for now.

Valete.

~Katherine J.



current mood: jubilant

(3 comments | comment on this)

Wednesday, July 19th, 2006
2:52 pm - Salvete!
little_dwarf

Hey guys!

I can see that this community's been... quiet (let's not say 'dead') for almost a year, but I just found it, join in and thought "why not revive it if I can?", so here goes...


Little bit about myself and why I joined: I like HP a lot, even if I'm not an obsessed fan (but I did read all the books and watched the first three movies). I love Latin, I've been studying it for four years and taken part in some Latin contests as well. No, I didn't take up Latin because I liked HP, for me it was more the other way round - I liked HP even more because of the Latin words and references to mythology.


 About my pronunciation of the character names and spells, I read all of them in the Latin way, but that's partially because of my Romance mother tongue (Romanian) which is derived from Latin and thus uses the same way of pronuncing words (hard C and such). 

I took the HP Latin test and it was really fantastic, congratulations for elaborating it!!! :D After answering and verifying all the questions, I started looking up words in my dictionary and making Internet research, so it was a way of not only testing, but also improving my Latin skills and my mythology knowledge! Thank you for that.

But concerning the test, I do have a complaint to make. It's related to question no. 31. No offence, but your answer is wrong. I'm sure London's name in Roman times was Londinium and not Lugdonum, as you stated. Lugdonum doesn't even exist. If you meant Lugdunum, that was a Roman city in Gaul, corresponding to the modern French city of Lyon. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_London#Roman_London and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugdunum for further reading.

But despite this minor mistake, the test (and the idea of composing one) was great! Have you thought of updating it to include new information? 

Ok, so anyone else want to say something? C'mon guys, I know there simply have to be interesting topics we can discuss. We're Latin dorks who love HP, so let's make our voices heard once more!

(4 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, July 28th, 2005
2:53 pm

thisgirliknow
minor spoiler and questionCollapse )

(1 comment | comment on this)

Wednesday, May 11th, 2005
7:24 am - Save Latin at this high school!

perpetualstroll
I took my first Latin course nearly 10 years ago and I hear my high school is currently trying to cancel a third year Latin course, so they can make room for science/math/business and other more "practical" courses. This is ridiculous. The decision will be made Friday and we need as much support as possible.

Please read more about it here:
http://www.perpetualstroll.org/archives/003331.php

And take the time to sign the petition here and be sure to add comments on how Latin has been important in your life / why it should be kept:
http://savelatin.cjb.net

If you could spread the URL and get everyone you know to sign this, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for your support everyone!

(2 comments | comment on this)

Sunday, January 30th, 2005
7:45 pm - Saluto vos!

mini_kirsti
Newbie coming on board!

Greetings to all of thee! My name is Kirsti, I come from New Zealand. I'm 18, just finished high school (University down here starts in about 3 weeks). I took Latin at Uni last year (I managed to do some Uni papers during my last year of high school, if you want an explanation, friend me, as it is kinda difficult to explain!), and passed - yay me! The course used the Wheelock's Latin course - is anyone here using the same one?
Bad news though: the Uni I am going to in 3 weeks uses the Oxford latin course - I think some of you are using it for your GSCE's (Did I spell that right?)? Anyway, you know how it is in 3 parts - well, Otago (where I am going) doesn't get to the 3rd part until the 2nd year course. So, I'm repeating. Yay - I was really stressed at the end of last year - our school production was Les Miserables, and I was part of the crew for it - I think you can guess how tiring that was!

Anyway, in reply to what i_ship_hphg asked, I don't really use the correct Latin pronounciations (sp?) when talking about the HP characters - not enough of the people I talk to about HP speak Latin! But, when I am discussing actual people and mythological figure from the Roman times (ie: Remus), I certainly do.

Hey, was Harry Potter one of the reasons anyone else here took up Latin in the first place? It was for me - that, and the Asterix comics!

(comment on this)

Sunday, January 16th, 2005
9:08 pm

blindedbylies
hello everyone!
i'm new. and obviously, i love harry potter. i'm in my third year of latin. apparently that's enough to qualify me for this community :-P. see you all later.

~Jessie

(2 comments | comment on this)

Saturday, July 17th, 2004
4:00 pm - The Marauder's Map

fabulesque
This image of the Marauder's Map is from the official site. I've been trying to make out the Latin text, but I just can't decipher all of it. Any help would be fantastic, even if it's just random words or bits and pieces.

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, June 20th, 2004
7:39 pm - Shameless Advertising

i_ship_hphg

A new community has been created. It's _hp_rpg_on_aim . If you have AOL Instant Messenger, and would like to RP, join! You are free to RP as your own character, or as one from the books. However, if you choose to RP as a pre-existing character, i.e. one from the book, you are asked to remain as that character.

All of the RPing will be done through AIM Buddy Chats, although I may allow for some to be done in the community itself.

For more info... check out the info page.

Gratias Ago for allowing me my shamless advertising. ^_^

(comment on this)

Thursday, June 17th, 2004
2:20 pm - Does anyone else...

i_ship_hphg
Does anyone else pronouce most of the characters' names in Latin? Like, when I am reading, I pronounce Lucius with the hard C, and I say all of the spells in the Latin way. x.x I was just wondering if I was the only one who did that or there are more out there. (Well, duh I'm not the only one, but I would like to know who else does that.)

current mood: giggly

(5 comments | comment on this)

1:33 pm

moody_blue
Okay, in response to the most recent entry:

What was your point of view on the movie? I'm well aware this will generate zillions of comments, but let's narrow it down. How about the latin? I think they streamlined it a bit much...

And wasn't he not supposed to be doing magic? Y'know, like saying, "Lumos" and "Nox"? After the movie ended, I couldn't help but create a synopsis in my head of nox, noctis.

Hey, we're all dorks, right?

current mood: awake

(1 comment | comment on this)

11:51 am - Whooooooa.

i_ship_hphg
We totally need to liven this place up. Come on, folks! We are LATIN GEEKS, SO LET'S TALK ABOUT HP AND LATIN, WOOOOOOO!!

(2 comments | comment on this)

Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004
9:01 pm

simbagirl
I have Harry Potter in Latin but i can't read it because I'm only in my third year of Latin, Taking my GCSE soon

current mood: bored

(2 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, February 19th, 2004
10:54 pm

thisgirliknow
Hopefully, the Latin community in here also loves the Classics in general, and will be excited to hear that Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is now coming out in ANCIENT GREEK!

(2 comments | comment on this)

Sunday, November 30th, 2003
9:47 am

wildmandan
Kind of crossposted from my journal..

Apparently, Hermione means "well born" in Greek"..
...Whereas the Bene Gesserit, from Dune - well, Bene Gesserit means "well born."
The Bene Gesserit (Wikipedia) are described as follows, in abstract:
The Bene Gesserit are a key group from Frank Herbert's science fiction universe of Dune. They are a secretive sisterhood of women who train their bodies and minds though years of physical and mental conditioning, attaining powers and abilities that can seem almost magical. Due to their secretive nature and misunderstood abilities, outsiders often call them witches.


So, who else recognizes the parallels?

(1 comment | comment on this)

Sunday, June 15th, 2003
4:55 pm

_melissa_
I'm a little more than freakishly excited about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in latin. I've basically got the book memroized in English anyway, so it won't be that hard to translate :-P

Take the Harry Potter latin test!, brought to you by _melissa_, anditut, and pandora48sch!

(comment on this)

Saturday, June 14th, 2003
9:30 pm - Ahhh

_melissa_
A community for dorks like me...

Harry Potter + latin (or Ancient Rome, Greece, etc) = hp_latindorks!

(1 comment | comment on this)


> top of page
LiveJournal.com